Often, in the portrait shots, I have come across amazing ladies. Some know what makes them look good, which side of face suits them, what pose suits them and so on, while, some need to be directed.
From the experience I have had so far, I can formulate the below mentioned points, which, by me, if known by either the photographer, or the model, would help make amazing portraits.
- Turn to a side: Turn to a side while you are being shot. Pose in front of the mirror at your leisure. Find out which side you like, so the next time the photog asks you to pose, turn a bit, show off that amazing side profile, and voila, you have a nice photo. Also, apart from looking awesome, people generally appear slimmer on the side profile shots 😉
- Look Back: Turn and look back. Imagine that you have been called from behind as you are walking away, turn back, and give that thousand watt smile. Trust me, that makes an amazing shot.
- Let the shoulders play: Uneven shoulders, they work. They let the eyes follow the shoulder line and reach the most happy part of you, your face. Try it out. Droop to a side, tilt your head a bit, and look at the photos turn from fine to amazing.
- Hands off: Please let your arms be away from your torso. Stretch them, rest them on your hip, play with them, or anything of your fancy. Why, you may ask, the arms look thinner when away from the torso 🙂
- Use a prop: Use a prop, whatever you may find handy. Get distracted a bit and let the photog shoot you. The shots come out natural, and the curiosity shows in the photos, which in turn make you look very beautiful.
With this, my list of things I wish my models know while I shoot them comes to an end. And since you have shown the patience of reaching till here, I ll leave with a parting tip.
What’s common in the following photos?
Am sure, you have guessed it, they are all smiling, happily and not faking it. So, think of a happy thought, and flash that charming smile of yours and let the photog capture it. You are beautiful, remember that.
So, the next time we meet, you, my dear reader, know just what to do, when I say, lets shoot 🙂
I ll take this space in thanking the amazing ladies who have graced my lens:
Parthivi, Akanksha and Rishika. You are amazing 🙂