I prefer putting up photos which are new, and have not been used before for my posts. But sometimes, such a topic of weekly challenge comes up, where I can find no other photo more apt than one that had been previously used in a different post too.
This week: Trio. Hope the photo cheers you up, as it does to me every single time.
In case you are interested to see more of these tiny furballs, head over here.
A few days back, I had put up a request on the community pool for some feedback on my photos and posts. I want to thank you all who fed me back with the valuable comments and appreciations, Thank you! One of the suggestions I decided to follow immediately, from Teresa of ScienceAlcove was, being a bit more descriptive of my photos.
Check out her amazing site here: http://sciencealcove.com/
I started this blog with the intention that whoever would read through, they ll be able to take something from every photo, in terms of inspiration, technique or maybe plain insight. But, with the previous couple of posts, I realize, I have shifted to the showing off side, and I am sorry about that.
So, in this post, I ll tell about the settings that I used for shooting the cute pups that you all loved. Revisit them here http://wp.me/p4EGyN-5A
First, the lens. I used a Nikon 55-200 mm F/4-5.6G VR lens.
Why I used this, instead of my 50 mm prime lens, or the 18-55mm kit lens? The reason is, this lens is super versatile. It ranges from the effective range of 77.5 mm to 300 mm , incorporating the 1.5x crop factor for my camera, this range was good enough for me to capture the pups roaming about happily. The longer end allowed me to zoom in pretty much too and hence single out any pup if needed.
Also, this lens is an auto focus one, so, tracking the little energy balls was pretty easy. My prime is a D version, i.e it doesn’t auto focus on my body, but the G versions do. This one is a G. Auto focusing is, still for me at least, faster and safer while shooting a constantly darting target.
Camera settings…the ISO was 100 and shutter speed varied mostly withing 1/200s to 1/800s, but that was totally dependent on how fast my dear subjects were darting across the scene. And the F stop was set to minimum, so based on my zooming in or out, it too varied from 4 to 5.6. I shot these in Manual mode, but if you want minimum hassles, shoot in the Shutter Priority mode, with a fast enough shutter to freeze their motion, and let the camera handle the rest. But, then…sometimes, subject movement and panning, both mix up unpredictably, and you get something like this.
I hope you, my dear readers, would like this insight post and please be kind enough to let me know if you have any questions and suggestions, I ll be very happy and eager to answer them.